What happens with health insurance after quitting a job?
- You need to go the Job Center or the Arbeitsagentur (if you have been working on a contract for more than a year), file for unemployment, and they will pay your insurance while you are unemployed.
- They don’t pay the first 3 months of your health insurance after quitting a job, but maybe I am wrong. At least that’s how it works with the unemployement money.
- You have to pay it yourself. You contact the health insurance company and tell them that you do not have a job anymore and they will reduce the amount that you have to pay per month but you will have to pay it yourself. If you are getting Arbeitslosengeld, then the Arbeitsamt will be paying the Krankenkasse for you but you need to complete the paperwork with the Arbeitsamt. Until you are getting Arbeitslosengeld, you will have to pay the Krankenkasse yourself.
- Not exactly. Regardless how long the paperwork will take, they will cover your insurance and other contributions back from the month you signed up for ALG (regardless if it’s I or II). Just report your unemployment as soon as you give notice. It’s ok to do that, they will cover you after you actually end your job. If you do find a new job, it’s also ok. The paperwork for the ALG will just work as a safety net.
- If you quit you have to wait 3 months in order to get ALG I and this 3 months you have to pay insurance yourself.
- Wrong, actually the penalty period only has the money withheld. The contributions to benefits like insurance and socal security are always paid from day 1.