I resigned from my job and I will not be working next 3 months. Do I need to pay for health insurance myself during the gap between jobs? Does anyone know any exception to this rule? I heard about Sperrzeit but I am not sure it is relevant. Did anyone experience this short jobless time?
- You’ll have to pay for insurance yourself unless you’re married to someone and can get on theirs.
- Are you eligible for ALG1 or ALG2? If yes, Bundesagentur für Arbeit respectively Jobcenter pays. Not all the time you have a Sperrzeit, totally depends on your case.
- If you are not getting any help from the government, you need to pay.
- I resigned from my job once and didn’t work for 1 month and I had to pay for health insurance myself 180€.
- I quit my job in 2017, I was on Sperrzeit for 3 months (I got a job after that). You have to go to the Agentur für Arbeit and declare you’ve quit your job, they’ll pay the insurance for you. Btw, you also technically have to tell them when you’re on holiday, you’re not allowed to leave Germany for more than certain days whilst unemployed. Also, if you plan to quit your job you should tell this the Agentur beforehand. You must go there and declare your unemployment ASAP.